Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Lowering the risk of email hoaxes

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 20:26:50 -0500

I'll go out on a limb here, and offer a non-traditional approach to
counter this problem.

First, a metaphor.  If a person arrives at your front door holding a
box, wearing "street clothes", and says "you owe $30 for this candy",
would someone actually pay, or send them away?   You'd at least be
fairly suspicious, because you have learned that legitimate package
carriers look so.  Conversely, if you're expecting an order of candy,
delivered by FedEx, and a bright FedEx truck drives up and a uniformed
person, carrying a FedEx package tracking device, says "here is your
COD order, how would you like to pay?" everything's fine.

E-mail, as currently delivered, falls into the category of the former
example, where totally anonymous, unspoken-for mail is considered just
as genuine as a digitally signed message.  The "from" line is
considered authentic, unless it looks fairly absurd.  This is a trust
our users have formed due to the history of email being legitimate,
because it used to be.

To counter the growing tide of abuse of the technology's openness, we
can catalyse a cultural shift, toward a time when recipients have the
expectation that official mail will carry an official signature.  They
would expect this much the same way as they already expect their
package carriers to be able to prove their authenticity.  In history,
this has been how kings used to prove that messages were authentic -
only they could make "the seal" that assured the reader this was
really a message from the king.

This shift in the email readership community can't happen overnight,
though.  However, if your president were to state that his office
would henceforth send nothing that was not digitally signed (perhaps
with example included), that could start the snowball.

Universal PKI remains a pipe-dream, and perhaps the catalyst to the
increased growth in the expectation of authenticity-assured messaging
is for a few key senders to make such statements.

We can never prevent forgeries in the system we have today, and we
can't prevent someone from obtaining a bulk email list, no matter how
hard we try.  We can, however, inform our customers that legitimate
mail will begin to look so, and thus lessen the impact of forged or
anonymous (ie. unsigned) mail.

This too could be the death of spam.  Imagine the day when almost all
mail (at least the stuff you get from your usual correspondents) is
signed.  Filter the unsigned stuff, and you've dropped the junk spam.
Now, you get only the signed spam and (assuming the CA is trustworthy)
you can provably locate the origin, and address complaints to them.
Spammers would have to expose their identity in order to get people to
even see their mail.

Ok, back to practicality.  How do we get signed mail today, when we
can't realistically manage a campus full of certs?

One solution: Permit authenticated SMTP by your users, to your MTA,
and have your MTA sign the messages it receives by authenticated SMTP
with its own cert (you only need one cert, not thousands).  Your users
can now easily expect mail from one another to be so-signed - the
spoofs and forgeries begin to be obvious by their difference from the
norm.  ("Hey, here's mail from an on-campus address, but it's not
signed, I wonder if it's legit...?")

The current unsigned unauthenticated inbound receipt of mail remains
possible, but cross-campus mail is now easily made verifiably
authentic (to the extent that users have control of their passwords).
Your users start to wonder why the rest of the email community hasn't
picked this up - their colleagues at other schools are still sending
unsigned - the old fashioned way.

This doesn't change the world instantly, and your users will still
have to expect that mail arriving from off-campus is unsigned, but at
least they'll be forming the expectation that legitimate mail from
within their own community will be signed, and that will start the
process that could ultimately make your forger's methods obsolete.

Risk to privacy?  Probably not - we do already attempt to prove our
authorship identity in mail today, but use an arcane method (the
"from" line, sig lines) to do so.

It could catch on...

  Gary Dobbins, CISSP -- dobbins () nd edu
  Director, Information Security
  University of Notre Dame, Office of Information Technologies
  Voice: 574.631.5554