Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Higher Education SQL Slammer Survey

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:28:30 -0500

PLEASE EXCUSE THE CROSS-POSTING OF THE MESSAGE AND REQUEST BELOW.

The EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Computer and Network Security Task Force is
assessing the impact of the recent SQL Slammer Worm within higher
education. Since the worm appears to have hit our institutions
simultaneously, we think it will be useful to ascertain how each of us
responded and learn from the similarities and differences of our
experiences. We also hope to uncover some effective practices and
solutions that will allow us to minimize the impact of similar incidents
in the future.

We invite you to complete the anonymous survey at
http://survey.educause.edu/survey/sqlslammer/sqlslammer.html. We will
collect and analyze the results in aggregate only. We will share the
results on the Security Task Force web site and will summarize the
presentations organized by the task force.

Please direct questions about the Security Task Force or survey
to Rodney Petersen, Security Task Force Coordinator, at
rpetersen () educause edu or 202.872.4200

Thank you,

Dan Updegrove, Security Task Force Co-Chair
Vice President for Information Technology, University of Texas at Austin

Gordon Wishon, Security Task Force Co-Chair
Chief Information Officer & Associate Vice President/Associate Provost,
University of Notre Dame