Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPNs

From: "Davis, Thomas R." <tdavis () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:14:02 -0500

The devices are actually managed by the telecom group, so I'd have to
check with them before giving a definitive answer on any technically
oriented costs that weren't planned for.  But, I doubt that there have
been an inordinate amount or I would have heard by now.  :-)

Our support organization has done a really good job of documenting VPN
client issues in their on-line knowledge base support tool.  The major
support issue has been the availability of PPTP clients for non-Windows
(i.e., Mac and Linux) workstations.  For Mac OS X, they've been
recommending NTS TunnelBuilder.  For Linux, they've been recommending a
PPTP client[2] from sourceforge.

 [1] http://www.efficient.com/tunnelbuilder.html
 [2] http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/

--
Tom Davis, Information Technology Security Officer, CISSP
Office of the VP for Information Technology, Indiana University