Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spaf did not receive your email (was Re: [SECURITY ] Job Descriptions)

From: Gerald N Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:42:23 -0500

Wayne Smith wrote:
At 10:33 AM 2/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:

Not that I disagree with your sentiment but can you imagine a
mandatory access control OS as a home computer? :)

        Well...yes.  Both my reading of the Trusted Computing
        Platform Alliance initiatives and Microsoft's (somewhat
        related) Palladium initiative are but two major strategic
        thrusts in this area.

I haven't made enough time to study those proposals in
depth. My skeptical nature wants to see an implementation
on a consumer platform.

In particular, I'd like to see how the architectures
(and the typical end user) handle unsigned code, the
trust decisions with signed code, general security
token (key?) protection and recovery, and privacy issues
on a "personal computer".

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services