Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spaf did not receive your email (was Re: Job Descriptions)

From: Kevin Shalla <Kevin.Shalla () IIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:45:42 -0600

May I suggest that the main issue is not using Office, but the problem of
unsecured document exchange.  While I believe that Office offers way too
much functionality that goes unused by 99% of users, it is so pervasive
that it would be difficult to change users' document production
habits.  Most (all?) of the malicious Office macros come from outside our
own organizations, and if we can avoid files from the outside we should be
safe, correct?  So, if instead of using email to transfer documents we used
shares on file servers, then we can have some assurance that in fact the
document was placed there in good faith by the originator, and is probably
free of malicious macros.  Word also has a feature of disabling unsigned
macros (tools, macros, security), which should probably be set at high,
with no trusted sources.

This leads to this recommendation -
1) When you want to transfer a file to a person within your organization,
put it on a file server to which you and your recipient both have access.
2) When you want to transfer a file outside, email the file in some
non-executable format.  Surprisingly enough, I've had luck (even with Excel
spreadsheets) with this technique - open the document, select all, copy,
then paste into the body of the email - it preserves most of the
formatting, and is not an attachment.
3) Don't open any email attachments that may contain executable content
(Office, VB, exe, others?).  Refer the sender to steps 1) or 2) above.
4) Set Word macro security to high.

This of course is not very secure, it's just more secure than what we're
doing now, because there may be some internal bad guys who just post to
file servers instead of emailing, and there may be  unknowing internal
users who have malicious macros in their documents.

Please comment on this recommendation.