Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spaf did not receive your email (was Re: Job Descriptions)

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () CERIAS PURDUE EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:50:35 -0500

Mark,
In retrospect, I viewed it as a teachable moment. :-)   After all,
I've never had a computer virus (in 25 years of computing and using
networks), the slammer worm didn't affect our machines, and the only
(2) times I've ever had a break-in to my account was through a
machine that someone else administered on campus.

Doing what the pack does ("common means common") is a choice.  Until
we can educate people in how to be safe in computing, and we raise
the level of quality of products, I think I'll choose to continue to
be an outlier ("crank" to many of you).   After all, I have better
things to do than perpetual incident response!  Don't you?

Back to the shadows,
--spaf