Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Feedback About InfraGard

From: "Davis, Thomas R." <tdavis () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:48:52 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodney Petersen [mailto:rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 12:48 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: [SECURITY] Feedback About InfraGard

What is the most useful feature of InfraGard for college and
university IT security personnel?

I've found that the opportunity to network with the local FBI agents
has helped tremendously.  It's much easier to work with them on
incidents when you've met in person and have put a face with a name.
I also think that the opportunity to network with other security
professionals outside of higher ed has been beneficial.

What is the least useful feature of InfraGard?

As with any security group meeting, some of the topics covered at the
local chapter meetings lack significant depth (i.e., it's very
difficult to cover much in a 2 hr quarterly meeting).

Should the Security Task Force promote college and university
participation in InfraGard?

I'm not sure why the task force wouldn't.  Even if you don't feel
comfortable signing the membership application, you can still attend
the meetings (at least you can at our chapter) and meet with those
that are involved.

Is there any feedback that we could share with Dr. Schneck and other
InfraGard leadership to reinforce its effectiveness or improve its
overall usefulness for higher education?

I'm assuming that this varies by chapter, but ours has yet to begin
sharing useful protection/security information outside of our meetings
(i.e., via a "secure" web site, encrypted mail, etc.).

Thank you for any insights that you can provide.

You're welcome.

--
Tom Davis, Information Technology Security Officer, CISSP
Office of the VP for Information Technology, Indiana University