Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SECURITY Listserv Instructions and ParticipationGu idelines

From: Randy Marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 18:36:27 -0400

Are you talking about S.1901.IS?

(no single standard will work for every environment,
something that proponents of this kind of thing don't seem to
understand).

I thought the draft that I read simply stated that the edu adhere to a
standard and not necessarily a specific one. There are a number of "standards"
like the SANS and CIS benchmarks that could be applied to most edus without
serious impact. I know we've done that here at VA Tech. The problem has always
been to get the upper administration to focus on security.

BTW, I was looking at the bill (via thomas.loc.gov) and didn't see the
amendment. Where is it?

        -r.