BreachExchange mailing list archives

Secret Service investigating possible data breach at Sears

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:08:56 -0600 (CST)

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79477078/

Secret Service investigating possible data breach at Sears
Staff and wire report
3:04 pm, February 28, 2014

The U.S. Secret Service is investigating a possible security breach at
Sears Holdings Corp., after a series of cyber attacks on retailers that
have exposed the credit-card data of millions of U.S. consumers, a person
familiar with the investigation told Bloomberg News.

The person, who asked not to be named because the matter is under
investigation, didn.t disclose details about the scope or timing of the
possible breach.

Hoffman Estates-based Sears said it has found no evidence that it has been
hacked.

"There have been rumors and reports throughout the retail industry of
security incidents at various retailers, and we are actively reviewing our
systems to determine if we have been a victim of a breach," the company
said in a statement. "We have found no information based on our review of
our systems to date indicating a breach."

The U.S. Secret Service is already investigating digital attacks on
several other retailers, including Target Corp. and Neiman Marcus Group,
that have exposed the credit-card data of millions of U.S. consumers.

[..]