BreachExchange mailing list archives

Juniper Networks exec: 'First-world outrage' will not help cyber security

From: Audrey McNeil <audrey () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:23:47 -0700

http://www.zdnet.com/juniper-networks-exec-first-world-outrage-will-not-help-cyber-security-7000026761/

We are all complicit with attacks on privacy and sensitive data, according
to Nawaf Bitar, senior vice president and general manager of the security
business unit at Juniper Networks.

Speaking at the 2014 RSA Conference on Tuesday morning, Bitar lectured that
we are witnessing the symptoms of a new disease: "first-world outrage."

"Our privacy is being invaded. The public trust is at a whole time low. The
attack on our information is outrageous," Bitar remarked. "But you know
what, I don't think we give a damn. I'm fed up with talking about outrage.
It's easy to talk about outrage."

Bitar argued that "liking a cause on Facebook" or "retweeting a link" are
not appropriate displays of outrage.

"Not showing up at a conference is not outrage," Bitar continued, drawing
some applause from the keynote audience as he referenced a brief outcry on
social media last month following more revelations from Edward Snowden
about a connection between the RSA and the National Security Agency.

A group of speakers who pulled out of the RSA Conference set up a rival
one-day security conference, TrustyCon.

But beyond cyber attacks and the associated ramifications, Bitar suggested
we're now witnessing the greatest threat of all: apathy.

"You in this room have the prowess and capital to demand better, but we
stand by watching our privacy erode," Bitar lamented.

In defending just how far apathy has taken over the public attitude, Bitar
pointed beyond just security breaches targeting retail chains and cloud
storage providers to the discussion of gun laws in the wake of the attack
in Newtown, Conn. to the "financial industry pushing toxic mortgages on
unsuspecting investors."

Bitar theorized that we'll only move to action when "real values" are
attacked, defining that there are only two that we really care about:
family and money.

Privacy, he reflected, is "long gone," but he warned it is "high time we
added our information" to the list.

"Cyber attacks that steal information are a daily occurrence," Bitar said.
"Data is one of our most prized possessions, and we should treat it as
such."