BreachExchange mailing list archives

Security Breach Investigation in South Beloit

From: Erica Absetz <erica () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:46:54 -0500

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/Security-Breach-Investigation-212069791.html

SOUTH BELOIT (WIFR) – The city of South Beloit is on high alert after
hackers got into the city’s computer system.

It’s city employees whose information could be at risk. The police
chief says a hacker got into the sewer billing system and could have
accessed employees personal information.

A city worker noticed something was wrong about a week and a half ago.
The Police Chief immediately called the FBI to check the computer and
help with the investigation.
The police don’t know for sure if any information was accessed but all
city employees have been warned to check their accounts.

“To the best of my knowledge I know I’ve checked mine and mine has not
and some other city employees have checked theirs as well and theirs
have not so it looks like this might have been just a malicious
inhuman attack,” said Chief Dean Stiegmeier with the South Beloit
Police Department.

Chief Stiegmeir says this is proof hackers can attack anyone. The city
had firewalls up to stop hackers but it didn’t work and he says it’s
extremely difficult to catch the person behind the security breach.

At this time residents do not need to be worried because the City says
it doesn’t have anyone’s personal information like credit cards or
bank numbers. The only information the hackers could have gotten from
people who live in South Beloit are names and addresses.