BreachExchange mailing list archives

Letter from Crucial (Epsilon)

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 14:04:34 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.databreaches.net/?p=17374&cpage=1#comment-240

Lars says:
April 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm
Add Crucial to the list. Here's the text of their alert:

On April 4, we were informed by Epsilon, a company we use to send emails
to our customers, that files containing the names and/or email addresses
of some Crucial customers were accessed by unauthorized entry into their
computer system.

We have been assured by Epsilon that the only information that may have
been obtained was your name and/or email address. No other personally
identifiable information that you have supplied to Crucial was at risk
because such data is not contained in Epsilon.s email system.

For your security, we encourage you to be aware of common email scams that
ask for personal or sensitive information. We will not send you emails
asking for your credit card number, social security number or other
personally identifiable information. If ever asked for this information,
you can be confident it is not from Crucial.

For your security, however, we wanted to call this matter to your
attention. We ask that you remain alert to any unusual or suspicious
emails and remain cautious when opening links or attachments from unknown
third parties. Our service provider has reported this incident to the
appropriate authorities.

We regret this has taken place and for any inconvenience this may have
caused you. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to
work diligently to protect your personal information.