BreachExchange mailing list archives

Who is Epsilon and why does it have my data?

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:52:03 -0500 (CDT)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20051038-245.html

April 6, 2011 4:00 AM PDT
Who is Epsilon and why does it have my data?
by Elinor Mills

If you didn't get an e-mail warning this week that your name and e-mail
address were part of a database that was breached, consider yourself
lucky, and unique.

E-mails from dozens of companies--including Citibank, Chase, Capital One,
American Express, Walgreens, Target, Best Buy, TiVo, TD Ameritrade,
Verizon, and Ritz Carlton--began flooding inboxes this week after a
company called Epsilon announced that its system had been breached. Some
people have reported receiving as many as four of these warnings.

Citibank is a household name, as are most of the brands on the list (which
now reaches more than 55, according to this list on DataBreaches.net). But
who exactly is Epsilon, and what is it doing with my data?

[..]