BreachExchange mailing list archives

Writerspace.com News - 12k e-mail addresses/passwords exposed

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 02:56:07 -0500 (CDT)

http://writerspace.com/

Breaking News!

   # Today an anonymous group of hackers known as LulzSec posted a list of
62,000 e-mail addresses and passwords. That list included about 12,000
e-mail addresses and passwords from Writerspace members.

     We are in the process of contacting all members impacted by the
attack, and we sincerely regret the inconvenience this may cause any of
our site members. We want to assure our readers that we take our
responsibility for protecting your personal information very seriously.
Unfortunately, there are people who make it their mission to find and
exploit any vulnerability no matter how secure the system. Today's email
list was posted by the same group that hacked the CIA website earlier in
the week and the US Senate website last week.

     Our techs are working to insure that our server is as secure as
possible. Meanwhile, remember that visiting our site and entering the
contests or participating in our chatrooms does not require a login or
password. However, for those who use logins to post on our blogs and
forums, please remember to change your passwords regularly, and take a
moment to make sure the passwords for all of your online accounts adhere
to industry security standards: mix uppercase and lowercase, numbers and
punctuation; use at least 8 characters, don't use dictionary words, and
don't use the same password for more than one site.