BreachExchange mailing list archives

Bioware hacked, data taken from... decade-old Neverwinter forum?

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 18:15:25 -0500 (CDT)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/06/bioware-hacked-data-taken-from-decades-old-neverwinter-forum.ars

Bioware hacked, data taken from... decade-old Neverwinter forum?
By Ben Kuchera | Published June 16, 2011 8:55 AM

Now that we live in a world where everyone is going to get hacked at some
point, it's apparently Bioware's turn. The company has released a
statement detailing an attack and the amount of data that was stolen by
the guilty parties. It's not as bad as it could have been, but this is a
disclosure no company wants to make.

The hacker gained access to a "decade-old" community server that handled
the Neverwinter Nights forum. "We have determined that no credit card data
was compromised, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social
security numbers," Aaryn Flynn, the Studio GM of BioWare Edmonton wrote on
the official forum. "However hackers may have obtained information such as
user account names and passwords, e-mail addresses, and birth dates of
approximately 18,000 accounts.a very small percentage of total users."

[..]