BreachExchange mailing list archives

Penn Mutual Says Employee Might Have Disclosed Customer Data

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 04:39:32 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>

http://www.darkreading.com/insider-threat/167801100/security/privacy/229300663/penn-mutual-says-employee-might-have-disclosed-customer-data.html

By Tim Wilson
Darkreading
Mar 09, 2011

An employee of the Penn Mutual Insurance company gained unauthorized
access to customer information and might have disclosed it to others,
according to a breach disclosure notice filed with the state of New
Hampshire last month.

"When Penn Mutual learned that the former employee had, during the course
of her employment, unlawfully accessed personal information of Penn Mutual
customers, it immediately fired the employee," the breach disclosure
states.

"Although we have not been able to determine definitively what customer
accounts and what personal information were unlawfully accessed by the
former employee, it appears that the former employee accessed and may have
improperly disclosed the names, addresses, dates of birth, Social Security
numbers, and bank account information associated with a number of our
customer accounts," the disclosure says.

The notification letter filed with the state of New Hampshire does not say
how many customers might have been affected by the data breach. Five of
the customers are residents of New Hampshire.

[...]