BreachExchange mailing list archives

HMRC mails wrong private info to 50,000 taxpayers

From: Jon Turner <jjturner () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 17:45:13 +0100

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/27/hmrc_loses_more_records/

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs apologised today for sending out private
information to 50,000 tax credit recipients.

One taxpayer who contacted *The Register* said: "We received our tax credit
notice with our National Insurance details but on the back were two
strangers' work, childcare and pay details."

<http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/jump/reg.public_sector.4159/government;tile=2;pos=top;dcove=d;sz=336x280;ord=S-6fxcCoZGQAAERsnKkAAAAL?>

He then received a note from the Revenue which blamed a print supplier for
wrongly preparing the notices.

The letter, signed by Paul Gerrard, director of tax credits, said: "I wish
to apologise for this error and any inconvenience that it might cause ... I
would be very grateful if you could return the incorrect notice in the
envelope provided." The note included a stamped addressed envelope.