BreachExchange mailing list archives

RI: Computer glitch causes big headaches

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:51:56 -0400

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/12_for_action/call-12-for-action-computer-glitch-causes-headaches-for-local-company

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) - An Attleboro businessman thought he hit
the jackpot, his company's 401k plan doubled in value in just months.

Not only had his 401k doubled in size, so did the amount of employees
he supposedly had working for him. The company he hired to handle his
payroll and 401k plan, had somehow sent him information he should
never have seen.

Dominick Deluca hired a large payroll company to help handle payroll.

"I'm good at selling, I'm good at managing my company, I'm not good a
payroll and 401ks so I needed a company that can incorporate both,"
said Deluca.

Dominick's noticed a stunning change in his company's 401k account.

"I went in and the first thing I noticed was I had twice the amount of
money I was supposed to have," said Deluca.

Dominick's company's 401k account for 3 employees doubled in value to
a whopping $576,000. Not only that, the payroll company had also added
employees to his account!

"I drilled down, and I noticed I had 21 employees, and I thought I
don't have 21 employees."

Not only did he have their names, he also had access to their personal
information, including social security numbers.
[..]