BreachExchange mailing list archives

MySpace Fires Employee After Data Breach

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 05:27:02 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.switched.com/2009/04/18/myspace-fires-employee-after-data-breach/

MySpace Fires Employee After Data Breach
by Warren Riddle  Apr 18th 2009 at 8:03AM

MySpace employees experienced some unusual high and lows this week at
work. On Monday, workers for the social networking site learned of a data
breach orchestrated by a fellow employee, who collected names, Social
Security numbers and compensation information of many of his co-workers.
Fox Entertainment Group (the company that operates MySpace) sent e-mails
to all employees alerting them to the incident, and assured them that no
bank account or medical information was compromised.

Fox Entertainment promptly terminated the perpetrator; a departure from
the typical MySpace and Facebook firing stories we often cover here at
Switched. The internal e-mail, which was forwarded to TechCrunch, told
employees that the thief used the acquired data to "annoy selected
individuals," but did not send the information to any third parties. At
least the thief didn't crash the company's server, as we've seen before.

In addition, MySpace employees received some slightly odd news via e-mail
Wednesday evening: Southern California Edison power company had to shut
down power to MySpace's Beverly Hills headquarters from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
on Thursday. Employees were encouraged to grab their laptops and work from
home the while the power was off. Since the e-mail went out after many
workers had already gone home for the day, we're guessing many of them
conveniently "missed" the part about grabbing their laptops. C'mon,
everyone needs a day off! [From: Tech Crunch]

Original article contains the letter sent to employees:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/04/16/snow-day-employee-arrest-at-foxmyspace/

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 8:27 AM

[..]

Certain confidential employee information (including at least your name,
social security number, and certain compensation information) was
acquired..

[..]

From what we have just learned, it appears the former employee first
acquired the information in June 2008 (or possibly earlier).