BreachExchange mailing list archives

Walmart, Primary Sources, Left Field

From: David Shettler <dave () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 23:41:26 -0400

http://datalossdb.org/incident_highlights/26-walmart-primary-sources-left-field

We knew when we started the Primary Sources Archive that we'd find
some interesting incidents. There was little doubt that what we were
seeing reported in the media was a fraction of what was really going
on, and we continue to feel that even what we find in the media, and
primary sources, still represents a fraction of what really goes on.
We did not exactly anticipate finding enormous un-reported breaches
via primary sources, however.

We recently launched a small initiative to get primary sources via
volunteer contributors from across the 50 states. One volunteer
recently submitted a batch of files to us, obtained through a FOIA
equivalent request to the state of Illinois. Of those, most were
incidents we already knew about, with some exceptions, and one rather
large exception.

It would seem that Walmart experienced a significant breach in
mid-2007 that we had never heard of in the media. A former employee
left Walmart with personnel data of over 48,000 Walmart associates
residing in the state of Illinois. That is an enormous number of
records for just one state.

[..] read on via link