BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Banking and state regulations regarding the transmission of banking routing/account information

From: "Al" <macwheel99 () wowway com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 23:44:30 -0500

As a general rule, I would say you should NOT send ANY banking info via the
Internet per se,

Rather you should be using a system like VPN, which comes with encryption &
passwords.

To ask what the rules are for sending the info via Internet, is like asking
what the rules are for painting your credit card info on the side of your
building, or on your forehead, for everyone to see . there are no such
rules, because no one is supposed to be doing that.

Start with PCI contract if you are handling credit card information on any
customers.

Your company should have a contract with the bank.

Here are the regulations imposed by PCI.

Build and Maintain a Secure Network Compliance

Requirement 1: Install and maintain a firewall configuration to protect
data.

Requirement 2: Do not use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords and
other security parameters.

Protect Cardholder Data

Requirement 3: Protect stored data.

Requirement 4: Encrypt transmission of cardholder data and sensitive
information across public networks.

Maintain a Vulnerability Management Program

Requirement 5: Use and regularly update AV.

Requirement 6: Develop and maintain secure systems and applications.

Implement Strong Access Control Measures

Requirement 7: Restrict access to data by business need-to-know.

Requirement 8: Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access.

Requirement 9: Restrict physical access to cardholder data.

Regularly Monitor and Test Networks

Requirement 10: Track and monitor all access to network resources and
cardholder data.

Requirement 11: Regularly test security systems and processes.

Maintain an Information Security Policy

Requirement 12: Maintain a policy that addresses information security.

Each bank and credit card company adds its own additional regulations to the
PCI standards.

You need to check the contracts you have with them.

Here are web sites with info regarding some of the legal ramifications, and
what your goals should be.  We can add more links like this.

http://pcianswers.com/2009/01/21/what-pci-compliance-really-means/

http://infoseccompliance.blogspot.com/2008/02/legal-implications-risks-and-p
roblems.html

http://infoseccompliance.com/2009/04/02/who-is-minding-the-legal-risk-around
-pci/

http://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/iso-acquirer-20080930-legal-rights-pci-com
pliance.php

The laws vary by state and nation.  You are covered by whatever laws for
your location, your bank's location, locations of any customers or vendors
whose banking info is in the transmissions.

-

Al Mac

  _____