BreachExchange mailing list archives

Wired to the data breach

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 02:06:08 +0000 (UTC)

http://superconductor.voltage.com/2009/05/wired-to-the-data-breach.html

Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Wired to the data breach
- Wasim Ahmad

It all started with an article in WIRED - Group Spots Giant Hacks by
Combing Small Newspapers by Kim Zetter, about how intrepid researchers had
found patterns in the customer breach notifications coming from regional
banks around the US which led them to suspect a wide-ranging data breach.
The researchers are all part of a nonprofit volunteer organization - the
Open Security Foundation, that posts the result of its research on the
DataLossDB.org website. We decided we wanted to see patterns too,
especially if it could help focus our customers on new and upcoming
security risks. We contacted the foundation and set about visualizing data
breach incidents. The result is the map you see above, which you can play
with at www.voltage.com/data-breach. Just click on any of the red areas of
the world map - clearly not every country reports data breaches, but
whatever information is available publicly will eventually find its way
into the foundation's database. We marked the incidents with rectangles,
the size of which is determined by the number of records breached - just
like earthquake maps. A lot of recorded incidents, up to 30%, do not
specify the number of records lost however.

[..]