BreachExchange mailing list archives

Aetna offers credit monitoring after site breached

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 21:03:12 -0400

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=111&sid=1684185

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Aetna Inc. will offer free credit monitoring for a
year to about 65,000 people after some e-mails were copied from the
health insurer's job application Web site.

Hartford, Conn.-based Aetna said Social Security numbers of current
and former employees and people who received job offers from the
company were stored on the Web site, which was maintained by an
outside vendor.

Most of the information was from current and former employees. For
people who received job offers, the site also stored phone numbers,
addresses and employment histories.

Aetna has no reports that this information or the Social Security
numbers were copied, spokeswoman Cynthia Michener said.

"We know for certain that the e-mails were accessed, we don't know
whether or not anything else was accessed," she said. "But we're
erring on the side of caution, we want people to know."

[..]