BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Best Western Response

From: "Jamie C. Pole" <jpole () jcpa com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:22:01 -0400

Sounds great to me...

I encounter the same problem in the Defense space.  They are very much
beholden to STIGs and checklists - and I have never caught a hacker in
possession of either.

This is the difference between security assessment and automated
compliance testing.  Automated compliance testing (seemingly the
majority of PCI DSS at this point) can only measure compliance with an
arbitrary (and outdated, outmoded, obsolete, etc.) baseline.  Security
assessment SHOULD throw convention to the wind in favor of adopting
the same mindset as the hacker community.  Any truly competent
security consultant should be able to do this.

I agree that some "lowest common denominator" can be helpful, but not
at the expense of and actual security program.  Too many processors
take their PCI certificate "to the bank", and don't seem to bother
doing anything else.

That is the fatal flaw in the program.

In addition, the way the PCI QSA program is structured ensures that
competent security consultants will stay out of it.  Why would anyone
want to sign on to a program where you have essentially unlimited
liability, but are forced to base your certification decisions on a
ridiculous standard?  AND you have to pay them $20,000 initially, and
$10,000 per year afterward...  Where does that money go???

Your comment about breaching other environments compliant with
applicable standards is right on the mark.  A rigid standard is not
the answer to this problem.

Jamie