BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Best Western Response

From: macwheel99 () wowway com
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:09:42 -0500

Another hotel chain overcharged me a few days on my Master Card.

I had told them I planned to stay to a particular date, then I checked out
early, and the checkout paperwork correctly reflected the # days I had
stayed.

When I saw that my credit card bill was much bigger than the paperwork they
gave me on checkout, I called to get it fixed.  They fixed it.  They did not
need me to give them my credit card # again.

I was calling them 2 weeks after I checked out, when I saw my credit card
bill.

The chain was Econo Lodge.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:00:24 +0000 (GMT), *Hobbit* wrote
... how come I can call Best Western and make a reservation on my
   Visa card, without informing them of the number?  and I haven't
   slept in a Best Western in 5 years?

And your card number hasn't changed in 5 years either??  Hmmm...

But I would be hard pressed to believe that any hotel chain large
or small ever destroys their records of people's card numbers.
I would call bullshit on BW's "response" based on that alone.

_H*

Tenable Network Security offers data leakage and compliance
monitoring solutions for large and small networks. Scan your network
and monitor your traffic to find the data needing protection before
it leaks out! http://www.tenablesecurity.com/products/compliance.shtml

--
WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com)