BreachExchange mailing list archives

CA: San Quentin loses data on 3,500 visitors

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:13:40 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/29/BA4KVSJ9O.DTL

A flash memory drive containing names, birth dates and driver's license
numbers of more than 3,500 people who either volunteered or visited San
Quentin State Prison in a group tour has been lost, a prison official said
Friday.

The flash drive was used to move the data each evening from the prison's
administrative office near the parking lot to computers at the two
entrance gates to the facility to allow guards to identify volunteers or
groups, such as college students, that tour the prison, said Samuel
Robinson, a San Quentin spokesman.

"What happens is that we have to transport that information out to
individual areas where we let people through" onto prison grounds, he
said. "It's our security measure to walk the flash drive."

[...]