BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Tracking consequences of data loss

From: blitz <blitz () strikenet kicks-ass net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:05:10 -0400

And as an adjunct, the first fine ever was recently issues in a HIPPA case.
Though thousands of complaints are files annually, the agency governing them seems to be protecting the doctors and hospitals instead of the paitents.

At 14:47 10/11/2006, you wrote:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 12:53:19PM -0500, Al Mac wrote:
| Many organizations have sustained healthy fines from the FTC in the
| aftermath of breach investigations that found the places that got breached
| were negligent in some way.  I have seen fines in the $ millions.

Where many is 15 out 400?  Or is my mental list short of fines?

| At least one place has had to declare bankrupsy and go out of business, as
| a result of the loss of confidence in them that came about due to the
| circumstances of the breach, where their business was entirely dependent
| upon the major credit card brands trusting them or approving their security
| arrangements.

Cardsystems managed to sell their assets to Paybytouch.

Adam
Tracking more than 136 million compromised records in 416 incidents over 6 years.

--
believed to be clean.