BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: security breaches as a result of email

From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong () pobox com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:02:29 -0400

On 10/11/06, Al Mac <macwheel99 () sigecom net> wrote:

The data base has coding http://attrition.org/dataloss/dldoskey.html as to
nature of breach that could narrow you down to this kind of relevance, but
this is something that continues to evolve, and be improved upon by
feedback here.  I do not see in the chart a coding for the nature of the
breach:
* laptop gone missing
* dumpster diving
* hacker broke in
* data managers must have been computer illiterates
* data managers must have been privacy illiterates
* e-mail stupidity
* etc.
so if you do a search of the raw data, looking for "e-mail" you going to
get a lot of hits that what was breached was person's e-mail address

You make a good point - this is definitely something else we should be
tracking in the DLDOS.