Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: "Market Failures"

From: Bryan Buckman via Dailydave <dailydave () lists aitelfoundation org>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 12:40:36 -0500

"And as critical as Twitter is, we have the exact same dynamic with
our privatized water and power companies - who have no plans to make
strategic investments in security or anything really - which is why on
public calls you can hear them humiliating themselves asking Jen
Easterly to absorb the entire costs of their security programs. "

Long time lurker, first time poster. This hits me where I live because
I run a Red Team for a large privatized power company, which is one of
many strategic investments in security my company makes despite the
fact that our budget is scrutinized and approved to the line item by
the state's Public Service Commission and we must justify the value
of, in some cases, individual tools. I've only been doing this a few
months and it's been quite an education in how far the definition of
capitalism can be made to stretch. It's hard to call something a
failure of the market when there never was a market and it definitely
wasn't free, notwithstanding the fact that it has shareholders and
dividends.

Whether we do it ourselves, which we do, or ask the government to pay
is somewhat academic, since taxpayers and ratepayers are the same
people, and since our money is subject to state control just like the
state's money. It's even more academic in the age of COVID, when
people aren't paying their power bills and the state and federal
governments are helping keep the lights on.

The standard model in our industry is to make a profit on capital
expenditures but not operations and maintenance, e.g., all of
security. The PSC/PUC rightly scrutinizes O&M expenditures because
that's where you put the executive yachts and such if you are so
inclined. Security does OK in the state where my employer is located
because the PSC can read the news, but the point is: the Board of
Directors isn't scheming to offload costs to the taxpayer. The Board
of Directors spends what it's allowed to by the taxpayers'
representatives.

We may not really be the target of that remark, though, because for
all of that we're actually the haves. The have-nots in power utilities
are the rural co-ops with ten employees, two servers, a bunch of
distribution transformers, and zero profits, where IT is done by a
local contractor and security is not done. Those are the folks who are
really offloading security to the taxpayer, and they have no choice
whatsoever.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 8:51 AM Dave Aitel via Dailydave