Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: HP getting sued

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 17:41:45 -0500

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:26 AM, Carl-Johan Bostorp
<Carl-Johan.Bostorp () cybercom com> wrote:
So it looks like HP is getting sued in a class action lawsuit over the
firmware upgrade “potential security vulnerability”. It’s claimed that HP
knew about the vulnerability, but failed to disclose it, and this
constitutes an “unfair” business act.
https://docs.google.com/gview?url=http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/5:2011cv05779/248220/1/0.pdf?1322863230&chrome=true
The 'unfair business practice' is an interesting new angle. The
evolution makes sense to me (a legal layman) since other initiatives
never seem to gain traction. I know its apples to oranges, but I've
never seen a class action for a data loss survive - it would be nice
to see some headway made.

This is the first case I’ve heard of where this happens. Will be really
interesting to see what happens. With any luck, vendors will have to at
least disclose the shit they choose not to fix.
http://www.digitalbond.com/2011/11/08/advantech-webaccess-first-on-insecure-products-list/
 … but then again, there are gradients here that can be difficult to rule.
Excessive patch times are a bit bewildering at times. Apple, IBM, and
Microsoft would probably make the list:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/11/apple-took-3-years-to-fix-finfisher-trojan-hole/
(Apple update code, 3 years),
http://www.zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/ZDI-10-022/ (IBM Informix
librpc.dll Multiple Remote Code Execution, 2 years), and
http://linuxbox.org/pipermail/funsec/2010-April/024746.html (Microsoft
GDI vulnerability, 2 years).

How much would a vendor have to disclose of vulnerabilities known but not
fixed? Do they get any grace period on fixing these vulnerabilities, or must
they be made public as soon as they know *anything* ? Or is it just when
they decided not to fix it? If so, can we then expect vendors to have
vulnerabilities rated as “undetermined” for years? Maybe a 6 months grace
period from vendor notification to people starting to sue? What about
severity of vulnerability?
Another interesting question, but recall that Microsoft never released
details of MS09-048 since a 'properly configured' server with a
'properly operating' firewall was not at risk (supposedly). People
were actually looking for 3rd party patches
http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2009/Sep/116.

Jeff