Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: LUA!

From: Greg Hoglund <hoglund666 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:40:05 -0700

LUA is very popular with MMO game botting platforms as well.  I have seen
many games that include LUA legitimately.  For a few years I was aware
of some botting projects for WoW that were "industrial" grade - that is,
not sold to end-users but actually to sweat-shops in China (for the record,
I was not involved with these projects).  One of these botting systems was
using Ruby.  The most successful one I was aware of was C# layered over
native c.  That one was being used by a WoW sweatshop that had, on average,
over 1,000 simultaneous connections to Blizzards' servers at any given time
(so I was told).  What I found surprising is that the bot creator/vendor
wasn't making that much money - the sweatshop was making all the cash.
And, there was a constant threat of the bot being stolen and RE'd - so DRM
tactics were in use.  And, finally, if at any point Blizzard learned of the
bot then a single Warden update could wipe out the entire operation for
weeks until they retooled.  A weird business for sure.

-Greg