Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: virus attacking drone fleet

From: Kristian Erik Hermansen <kristian.hermansen () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 11:33:59 -0700

On Oct 8, 2011 8:58 AM, "Miles Fidelman" <mfidelman () meetinghouse net> wrote:
After seeing this, from a few sources,  I'm reminded that there are a
couple of vendors who've been selling the Defense Department security
monitoring packages that are essentially rootkits that do, among other
things, key logging.

I kind of wonder if the virus that folks are fighting is something that
some other part of DoD deployed intentionally.

I saw a documentary recently where these drone commander bunker computers
were shown. They tried to obscure the software configuration from view, but
apparently they use vlc. If I wanted to hack the drone commanders I would
merely backdoor vlc for windows and wait for them to take the bait via
update.

You can see VLC for Windows in use at 12:35 in the video below. This is at
the JSOC UAV control room in Tampa Florida. Close to home for immunity.
Maybe JSOC needs a call from Dave...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/topsecretamerica/