Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: kinetics

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 22:40:57 -0700 (PDT)

In my experience in the third world, a leading cause of outages is an employee in the control center hitting the 'off'
switch. Despite the equivalent of the Big Red Button with a sign above it saying "Don't touch", they touch it. Of
course, when they do that, they say "I don't now what happened, it just turned itself off".

A large number of airplane crashes on blamed on computer bugs. It's often the first reason they come up with when they
can't explain what happened otherwise. For example, the Air France crash over the Atlantic last year was first assumed
to be a computer error. But, later investigations have failed to find ANY crashes that are due to computer bugs.

Today we experience "hackers in the gap". Whenever there is a gap, something you can't explain, then the first
assumption is that it must have been a hacker who did it. In truth, some of those cases might be right, but the
overall, it's a fallacy.