Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: What is a cyber-range?

From: "Chesmore, Michael [DAS]" <Michael.Chesmore () iowa gov>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 07:47:47 -0500

I think the point here might be getting missed.  The key term is not "cyber" but "Range".  DoD came up with this
concept years ago, so that they could train offensive and defensive Information Operations (IO) and Information Warfare
(IW).  The chatter has been interesting about these but entirely missing the mission of Cyber Ranges.  The mission of a
cyber range is not to test out your uber cool newest super secret script that slips through everything.  The mission of
the cyber range is much more basic.  We need a way to train upcoming IT security staff.  Not everyone is born with a
Perl book in one hand and a hex editor in the other. The users of the cyber ranges are beyond entry level folks but not
yet seasoned security staff.  The cyber range is designed as a training tool to pit experienced attackers against still
learning defenders. Then in time the defenders become the next generation of attackers. I would not expect them (the
students) to catch a really sophisticated a
 ttack, but this concept allows them to try and catch some medium sophistication attacks.  In reality they catch some
and miss some.  Stop getting hung up on the term "Cyber Range", it is more of a concept than a term.  DoD at the
highest levels needed a way to get IT out of the "support role" and into a "combat arms" role.  The use of the word
Range infers an offensive capacity and politically it was exactly the right way to do this.  The picture that we are
looking at here is much bigger than ones and zeros, it is strategic.  The DoD needed a way to ease into IW, and a way
to train up for it.  Cyber Ranges do exist, they are functional training tools and in my biased opinion a damn good
one.  But keep in mind I helped build one of the first ones.  I am not sure about the company that Dave referenced in
this first post about this concept, but I do know firsthand that there are several DoD partners in this market space
who are really good.  Plug for White Wolf security goes h
 ere....

Mike Chesmore, CISSP
Information Security Officer, ITS5
Information Security Office