Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: What is a cyber-range?

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 02:24:26 +0000

On Jul 7, 2011, at 6:40 AM, J.A. Terranson wrote:

These old virtual routing platforms are cheap, easy to find on ebay or ebay-like sales arenas, and if stacked in the
hundreds could *easily*
simulate many hundreds of thousands of routers, while server farms cab be injected at appropriate points to simulate
the "local networks" residing
on these routers.

What they don't allow one to do is to launch attacks and test their effects on actual, modern, hardware-based routers
and layer-3 switches.

The viability of software-based Internet edge routers ended 7-8 years ago; any organization still relying on
software-based edge routers can be taken down with a trivial DDoS attack, so no stress-testing of such architectures is
really required, heh.

Also, the use of software-based routers/switches limits the attack bandwidth (bps) and throughput (pps) which can be
utilized; this seriously limits the scope of resilience testing with regards to DDoS attacks.

On a side note, I've generally found that non-ironic use of the appellation 'cyber-' to be inversely proportional to
actual security clue.  Therefore, I'd urge the really smart folks at Breakingpoint and other knowledgeable folks to
avoid using the term 'cyber-range'; 'attack lab', 'testbed', et. al. are more descriptive and accurate, and don't carry
the taint of Big Security hand-waving.

;>