Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Imaginary hacking strategy class.

From: Konrads Smelkovs <konrads () smelkovs com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:26:48 +0100

I think it is kind of simple and goes from specific to general:
1. 5 year hacking plan is the same as your next 6 month hacking plan.
Industry trends shift slowly and Fortune 100 doesn't change that
quickly - the decline often is a slow dive. At this level, you hack
have a list of specific organisations.

2. At 10 years, changes in industry may be significant, so it is
better to focus on a segment, like Defence or Biomed or X. If you
trojan a few important systems now, it is likely they will be around
(or your access to their successors will) for a while. Company names
may change, but the research will be sold & acquired & divested as
divisions - those will stick around.

3. At 50 years, a lot will change - countries may rise & fall, we may
be wearing space suits and neural implants or sporting an extra pair
of arms. However, thinking inertia won't. It is best to hack attitudes
& cultures. Convincing an enemy to invest in technology that you know
will be useless in 20 years (e.g. US Littoral Combat Ship) or adopting
a really bad policy (e.g. giving bad education to people or plundering
their savings) will be truly a strategic advantage.
--
Konrads Smelkovs
Applied IT sorcery.