Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Imaginary hacking strategy class.

From: allison nixon <elsakoo () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:14:21 -0400

1. Profiling database from all public releases and various other hax-
username, password, email, other identifying information.  I think you can
accumulate a lot of passwords in 5 years.

2. In ten years if I were clever enough I think I could build up a tech
company large enough to interact with a significant portion of the
population. Something communications related so they send private messages
through us.  The company would perform tracking services and track far more
than the regular ad companies would.  Then I could leverage the information
for evil.  To prevent any scandals I would only sell information to the
government in secret so there is an air of legitimacy- eventually I could
subsidize my business by selling out to the government, to out-compete the
others.

3. Turning the tracking company into something profiling people from birth,
with everything they have ever put out there on the internet including
personal information.  government officials might be in a protected position
now but even the president 50 years ago didn't have nearly the security
detail he does now. Additionally it could be used for surveillance on entire
populations, and the fear of getting caught or publicly shamed for doing
whatever outlawed actions could be used to control behavior down to tiny
details.  Maybe you can't control how people think, but if you can make them
barred from any reputable or high class job if they say it, or go to places
where it happens(locations of meetings, visiting subversive websites), it's
good enough.

you could build a corporate empire in 50 years, who would need to hack
anything if they owned it all anyways?