Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Without Wires

From: Mohammad Hosein <mhtajik () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 02:36:15 +0430

what you mentioned is actually a very common method for various kinds of
active and passive Radar systems . certainly doing it in an active fashion
needs legal permission from local regulatory but law is different when it
comes to passive collection , specially when its wideband . i think once
Dave mentioned that SILICA like other immunityinc's product is based on
Python and it comes with source which makes it a very good candidate to
"connect" to stuff like GNU Radio and make use of cheap stuff like USRP to
build Wifi locationing systems .

after my first email , i got two response from two members of the list ,
that are actually government contractors who sell wifi locationing systems
and interestingly both of them work based on Signal strength , which means
you move around , you see signal level goes higher , it means you are in the
right direction and then you do this a lot from different places until you
get a sense of where your target might be located . this is not only
fundamentally flawed , in reality , its  useless , respectfully for hacking
purposes , lets say to find an AP and flash its firmware with our own
custom-made firmware to do a certain kind of stuff . it also will not work
for real world SIGINT operations , say , to locate where the Russian agent
is sitting ( yeah , if he is not obviously sitting in a cafe right in front
of Russian embassy - hats off to FBI counterintelligence dudes and huge
respect to Russian intelligence by the way )

current most accurate method to locate Radio emitters specially in these
freq bands is by using several receivers , connected together and sync in
time by nano-sec precision and use TDOA techniques to be able to "pin point"
the actual Radio . other claims are either false or have serious drawbacks ,
even AOA ( on precision specially in a Radio-crowded area )

Regards