Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerabilities Market

From: rajat swarup <rajats () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:43:17 -0400

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Jason Syversen
<jason.syversen () gmail com> wrote:
There's a good survey of the 0-day vulnerabilities market with breakdowns by
vendor including pricing, trustworthiness and friendliness posted online at
http://unsecurityresearch.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=57
(thanks to @reversemode RT @nrathaus).

I went through the survey and did some analysis of average prices by client
side vulnerabilities, server side vulnerabilities and both as well as
percentage of purchases that are "high value" and off the survey charts:
http://cyber-son.blogspot.com/2010/05/vulnerability-market-numbers.html
Also some good reading material in an older post
(http://cyber-son.blogspot.com/2009/09/vulnerability-research-market.html)
including some of the groups advertising research, Pedram's excellent
briefing on the market and some other papers.

Hadn't seen that information disseminated widely and thought there would be
interest. I'm always interested in quantifying more of what's going on in
the community and particularly in computer security markets like this one
that tend to be extremely opaque. Hopefully more people will fill out his
survey so there is improved statistical sampling. I suspect the current
margin of error is workable but definitely not negligible. Enjoy.

Both Google & Mozilla Foundation were not even a part of this.  They
also pay researchers for 0-days in their products (Chrome & Firefox).
I guess these include just the resellers and not in-house purchasers
(or they could be included under "direct to buyer" category).

--
Rajat Swarup
www.rajatswarup.com