Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Solvers!

From: dima <dima.ky () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:16:40 -0500

Bringing back an old thread...

I have just found time to write some notes inspired by one of Halvar's
challenges in that presentation. Absolutely not related to solvers or
static analysis, though:
http://www.julioauto.com/rants/code_normal.htm

Any feedback is appreciated :)

    Julio Auto

Once I crafted myself a tool, based on Cody Pierce's tool called
PyEmu, to solve a similar problem. Then I plugged that into IDA using
IdaPython. Essentially, what I could do using that tool is to select a
peace of code from the listing and then run the tool on it.
The tool would emulate that peace of code using PyEmu and show me the
result in the form of an "expressions" where I could see all the sources
contributing to the result and all the absolute values where
computed, so it was easy to spot the essence of the operations
performed. I guess that the better way to approach this is to
first translate the code into some intermediate form (language) which
would allow to track the data flow easier and then do all the analysis.

Actually, the whole point of me writing this message is to say that,
as far as you've chosen python, you can just use PyEmu
instead of writing an emulator from scratch.

--
regards, Dima