Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Exploits matter.

From: Matthew Wollenweber <mjw () cyberwart com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:58:26 -0400

It might be a little more informative to add an extra field to various
databases. I say maybe, as unless the databases actually test the
exploits accuracy would be questionable. But I think the marginal
difference between the terms "private/rumored" and "private/for sale"
doesn't examine the underlying problem -- which is what Matt Olney and
I believe Dave were getting at. The practical distinction between
public and private doesn't mean much. For $1000 you can have the
exploit from Immunity -- or you can likely get it for free if you know
someone. That's not a particularly high bar, but most organizations
treat private exploits (and by that I mean anything not on milw0rm,
metasploit, or bugtraq) as an unfathomable problem. So they obviously
ignore it.

Now the above is precisely the problem (IMO). It's pretty easy to buy
"private" exploits. It's pretty easy to write simple stack buffer
overflows that you'll find in vast amounts of in-house software. It's
pretty easy to use a packer to get past most or all AV. All of the
above will generally be near completely immune to most defenses. These
are insurmountable problems in the eyes of most businesses. When
considering defending against these threats, you might have better
luck convincing them to train school kids to defend against the
military. This is why they focus on whether one can easily download
the exploit or not. If so, then they have a problem that's in their
process to tackle. If not, it's too hard and they accept the risk.
They prefer the latter.

When you consider that it's "pretty easy" to do several things that
are insurmountable problems to most businesses then you really begin
to see the problem.

Defense security people like to gripe about people that release
exploits. It's a natural response given that their lives are made more
difficult. Ultimately, they're going to have to tackle the above type
problems, and (IMO) full-disclosure pushes them one step closer to
admitting the current security balance isn't acceptable. Since many
exploits are more difficult these days, there's going to be more
private/for-sale exploits and hopefully they'll begin to tackle these
problems. Until then, I expect to hear much more whining.

/rant.