Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: FTPD! :>

From: Shane Macaulay <shane () security-objectives com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:07:42 -0700

Florian Weimer wrote:
1. Why is CERT recommending removing anonymous write access. This is
something that is pretty rare, I imagine?

I'm sure it's still used for sending in crash dumps and similar stuff.

Crash dumps?  How? Manually?  WER & company do not use FTP, afaik...?

Aren't all the boxes "anonymously" vulnerable to this already used
as warez servers since they have remote writable access turned on?

Only if read access is enabled, too.  And it might even be relatively
safe again to run an open FTP server.  There seems to be little
systematic probing to find suitable upload locations deeper down the
directory tree.

What's funny is I hear there's some ftp servers with anonymous writable
folders that have some weird cron job's checking all the files to
enforce any errant files/config/permissions, so some random interval
after you do an upload.exe, the file suddenly is mode 0444!! It's
amazing what some people do thinking it was a good idea.