Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: FTPD! :>

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 18:06:29 +0000

1. Why is CERT recommending removing anonymous write access. This is
something that is pretty rare, I imagine?

I'm sure it's still used for sending in crash dumps and similar stuff.

Aren't all the boxes "anonymously" vulnerable to this already used
as warez servers since they have remote writable access turned on?

Only if read access is enabled, too.  And it might even be relatively
safe again to run an open FTP server.  There seems to be little
systematic probing to find suitable upload locations deeper down the
directory tree.