Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: So, the security industry has given up on the principles of least privilege and separation?

From: Joanna Rutkowska <joanna () invisiblethingslab com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:42:01 +0100

Dave Korn wrote:

"UAC should only be considered an extra security feature, which will remind
users that the code they run potentially could harm their systems - it is not
meant as a guarantee against code's ability to harm a system," Secunia's
Kristensen added.
--------------------<snip>--------------------

Heh ;) That rings a bell ;)

  That made me snort into my breakfast cereals, I can tell you.  Has the
entire security industry abandoned all hope of using the principle of least
privilege and limited user accounts, or just him?

It seems so. Why otherwise everybody would be getting so excited about
yet-another-remote-bug-in-IE/Firefox/Safari? Why would the Flash/QT/etc exploits
be worth tens of thousand of $ on the black market?

Least privilege, seems to be a rocket science for the majority of population.
Sadly, this seems to include the ITSec community as well.

I wish more people make comments like Dave.

Cheers,
joanna.

"Give less shit about browser bugs -- run them in VMs!" (The 's' is important)