Dailydave mailing list archives

So, the security industry has given up on the principles of least privilege and separation?

From: Dave Korn <davek_throwaway () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:11:34 +0000

  There's a story from yesterday on ElReg, following up the ongoing issue with
UAC in the win7 betas.  The exploit itself (not well explained in the article,
but amply illustrated by the OPs referenced there) is interesting, as much
from a political point of view (it appears to be a blatantly anti-competitive
attempt to give MS' apps an advantage over all others in the ability to
present a smooth and pleasant user experience uninterrupted by UAC popups) as
from a technical one, but the thing that boggled me was a quote from Secunia:

--------------------<snip>--------------------
Thomas Kristensen, CTO at security notification firm Secunia, explained "This
isn't a major issue; after all it requires that the user already downloaded
some executable code and decided to run it. No matter which security features
have been built into the operating system, then the user should never run
code, which they don't trust in the first place. Untrusted code should only be
run on dedicated test systems."

                              [ ... ]

"UAC should only be considered an extra security feature, which will remind
users that the code they run potentially could harm their systems - it is not
meant as a guarantee against code's ability to harm a system," Secunia's
Kristensen added.
--------------------<snip>--------------------

  That made me snort into my breakfast cereals, I can tell you.  Has the
entire security industry abandoned all hope of using the principle of least
privilege and limited user accounts, or just him?  It's been said time and
again that actually having your users running under limited user accounts is
in practice a very effective measure against an awful lot of malware, breaking
a lot of its mechanisms for self-propagation, installation and infection.  Is
that no longer the case or was it never was?  Was least privilege only ever a
mechanism to prevent an accidental "rm -rf *" from running away too far?

  It's easy to say that the user must never get "untrusted" software on there
machine, but that don't help Joe Sixpack much; how's he supposed to "trust" an
impenetrable blob of binary?  He's not a reverse engineer, and can't be
expected to be; so isn't it a good idea that there should be a way for him to
run processes in a constrained fashion that won't give them the ability to
modify the system?  Perhaps there always going to be loopholes in any such
restricted-user account, maybe not; even so, would that make it worthless in
day-to-day use?

  I was surprised, anyway.  I thought (unauthorised) privilege escalation was
an exploit and desirable to prevent; I didn't expect a security commentator to
describe it as just one of the things you should expect from life as routine.
 Why did we spend all those years berating MS for installing everything with
admin rights by default, if it was fine all along?  Why doesn't everyone just
give all there *nix users root, if it doesn't matter?

    cheers,
      DaveK
--
[*] - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/13/win7_uac_attack_demo/