Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Dep and aslr and /gs and so on

From: Curt Wilson <curtwilson618 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:34:48 -0600

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Jeremy Brown <0xjbrown41 () gmail com> wrote:

<snip>

From the Linux perspective,
all around, things seem to be done more efficiently. Are applications
more secure on Linux? Not really. But a result of protections readily
available on Linux distributions (honorable mentioned on BSD
derivatives and Solaris) has nearly diminished public exploits for
applications that result in stack smashing or otherwise memory-related
exploitation.

I've aware of recent successful linux heap corruption using malloc
maleficarum techniques "house of mind" and "house of spirit" for server-side
attacks, and "house of mind" for a client-side attack on a PDF reader. Only
one of these was made public. I haven't seen a public exploit for a linux
stack overflow in ages.  What I'm seeing "in the wild" in the day job is
more and more trickery and a continued reliance on older windows exploits,
with a few exceptions. One recent exception I am currently investigating is
a Torpig trojan infection (+ mebroot)  that was possibly dropped on the box
through a driveby with a relatively recent (known) java bug (no public
exploit, that I know of, however).

cw