Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Dep and aslr and /gs and so on

From: Bas Alberts <bas.alberts () immunityinc com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:57:05 -0400

Hrmm, I think there's this general misunderstanding and underestimation
of the game. I also think there's confusion between exploit development
versus hacking. 'Our' generation's exploit development (of the memory
corruption related variety) might be a thing of the past 5 or 10 years
from now, sure. But that has little to do with hacking as a whole (and
with hacking I mean compromising systems).

People (kids, senior citizens, whatever) are always going to hack. And
hacking is an entirely different pursuit than the esoteric art of big
game bug hunting. I don't think that a lot of the people hacking right
now care so much about memory corruption based exploitation. They care
about what gets them in (and in a sense I think it's always been like
that). For example, I missed the PHP short bus, and sometimes scoff at
the latest 'advances' in web hacking like every other mem corruption
dinosaur. But at the end of the day, they didn't have to spend 2 months
in GDB to drop a reliable remote shell. They did it in 2 days with a
firm understanding of regular expressions, the PHP interpreter and
common sense.

Now from a hacking standpoint, which one gets more cool points? The one
that gets you on target, of course. But from an exploit development
standpoint? For me, the one that involved a lot of research and solved
complex problems. But is that really the right way to look at things? It
is such a subjective thing to consider.

Now here's another stretch, I think a lot of people appreciate a well
researched mem corruption exploit with all the bells and whistles like
they appreciate a piece of art. Something to be hung on a wall and
studied and praised. But does that really relate to anything relevant
when it comes to hacking? Which flash exploit do you want to write when
 you have to be on target? The one that takes half a year to perfect or
the one you can push out for all platforms in a week? They both
exist(ed) at the same time. When does ego and academic masturbation get
in the way of practicality? The ego of security research is an
interesting thing.

So sure, we might end up having the 'nice' exploits, but I'm sure the
'kids' will be just fine.

Love,
Bas

Ralf-Philipp Weinmann wrote:
Hi Dave,

you're right there. If you tell people in our community something's
impossible to break, it definitely will be broken. Lars Knudsen's quote
about cryptology can be weakened and transferred to information security in
general: "If something is provably secure, it's probably not."

Nonetheless, what I really don't like about this inflation is that it'll
prevent new kids from entering the game as easily as we did. My fear is that
in a couple of years it's gonna be just us olpharts (excuse the pun) who
have the nice exploits.

Cheers,
.:ralf:.