Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Times up!

From: dennis () backtrace de
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:46:55 +0200

Zitat von Mike Johnson <mike () enoch org>:

Just to split hairs, Gimmiv is a trojan, not a worm.  It's just a
keylogger.  It in and of itself does not spread.  I have no idea why the
Threatexpert blogger called it a worm, everyone else calls it a trojan.
 While I do not claim to be an expert, the samples I have seen with my
own eyes are trojans and don't have the ability to spread.

That said, it won't take much for someone to write self-replicating code
exploiting this vulnerability.

It is a Trojan (a password stealer, downloader) which downloads an
additional (exploit) component named "basesvc.dll" as mentioned by
ThreatExpert on their blog. If you have a look at that file, it is
pretty evident that it might (I haven't gotten that far with my
analysis) exploit the vulnerability fixed with MS08-076 and thus may
be used to spread the password stealing Trojan.