Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Times up!

From: Erik Fichtner <emf1123 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:36:35 -0400

Fionnbharr wrote:
http://blog.threatexpert.com/2008/10/gimmiva-exploits-zero-day-vulnerability.html

"Critical vulnerability in Server Service has only been patched by
Microsoft (MS08-067), as a new worm called Gimmiv.A has been found
exploiting it in-the-wild."

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2008/10/23/ms08-067-released.aspx

The MSRC blog posting seems to suggest that Gimmiv.A was how this
bug was detected in the wild in the first place.

        "We have also have detection for the malware we found used
        in attacks exploiting this vulnerability (TrojanSpy:Win32/Gimmiv.A
        and TrojanSpy:Win32/Gimmiv.A.dll) in the signatures the MMPC is
        releasing today and sharing that information with our partners."