Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Google Robot and Black ICE

From: "Chris Kuethe" <chris.kuethe () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:24:12 -0800

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com> wrote:
Greetings,
        I was just looking over some IDS events and noticed that Google keeps
 looking for blackice.ini on one of our web servers. Does anyone have any
 idea as to why Google would be doing this? This happens on average 3-5
 times a day. Nothing critical, just curious. Every time Google tries the
 request is denied.

Maybe at one time there was a file called /blackice.ini on your server
and it got indexed? Were you ever on a virtual host with someone who
may have had a /blackice.ini? Maybe some asshats have a link pointing
to this nonexistent file and googlebot says "hm, let's see what this
file that all these people are linking to is all about" ? I know I
still get crawled for urls that aren't on my boxen any more... but not
3-5 times a day.

Whois and traceroute suggest that if someone's pretending to be
googlebot to try mine your site, they're at least putting some effort
into it...

CK